Who We Are
We are a multidisciplinary artistic avant-garde centre answerable to the General Secretariat of Culture and Cultural Extension of Universidad Nacional del Sur of Bahía Blanca (National University of the South). It consists of artists, teachers and researchers who work at Universidad Nacional del Sur, Conservatorio de Música de Bahía Blanca (Conservatoire of Music of Bahía Blanca), Orquesta Sinfónica Provincial (Provincial Symphony Orchestra) and other artistic organizations in the south of Buenos Aires and schools of dance, visual arts and drama. Our purpose is to disseminate the culture of the XX and XXI centuries, to promote local and national artists, mainly, and to integrate proposals which combine art, science and technology.
Mission, vision and objectives
To contribute to the training of multidisciplinary artists; to promote the work of local and national contemporary artists and the avant-garde art of the XX and the XXI centuries; to disseminate these proposals in universities and artistic organizations, and extend them to the local and regional community, actively engaging the audience in the new artistic languages.
Bahía Actual Centro de Integración y Creación (BACIC, acronym in Spanish) aims to consolidate its position as a creative centre which is a point of reference for local and national artistic avant-garde, from the scope for Art, Science and Technology established by the Strategic Plan of Universidad Nacional del Sur, linking artistic organizations, companies and other organizations of the city of Bahía Blanca and the region, and showing training opportunities and future fields of cultural and educational development to a participatory community through suitable formats.
- To contribute to consolidate the cultural activity of Universidad Nacional del Sur and continuously integrate it with the initiatives of artistic and educational organizations of the city and the region.
- To open up new opportunities for discussion and dissemination which enable directing the strategic decision making process of the production and social and governmental management sectors in the cultural and educational areas both locally and nationally.
- To strengthen the bonds with cultural and educational organizations of the region so that they can have access to information and they can take part in multidisciplinary joint projects both online and in person.
One of the most important phenomena in the present era is how important knowledge has become. Its dissemination through technology has rapidly created new production sources which are an alternative to the traditional ones. The second phenomenon to be considered is the re-localization and integration of the scientific and artistic disciplines with completely new results.
Currently, the most prized strategic tools are the capacity of the individuals to learn, create, distribute and apply their knowledge responsibly and critically to a specific context. However, the fast pace of transformations and the specificity of skills required to acquire knowledge, which has become more complex, cause the gap between experts and non-experts to widen.
Therefore, BACIC proposes bridging the gap between these new parameters in art, science and technology and society through experiences with artistic formats which involve the audience’s multisensoriality. Moreover, it suggests other scopes which enable getting actively involved in the proposals and arouse curiosity, motivation and knowledge acquisition, which would have been inaccessible by other formal means.
As the subjects are very broad, it is necessary to provide a flexible and generous framework in order to take other contributions in the medium and long term.
The four mainstays which support the theoretical development of this proposal are as follows:
Two production areas:
- Live performance of music, dance, drama and other performing arts,
- Sound and audiovisual design.
These areas are combined with two means of expression and communication of content:
- Avant-garde multidisciplinary artistic production.
- Dissemination using participatory teaching methods, reflective practice and theoretical frameworks.
From these four areas, many proposals can come up and the guiding principle is to lay the base for continuous exploration of these new possibilities in the long run.